Saturday, March 12, 2011

Dear Jane

Just today, which is sad because I really should've known sooner, I found out that the legendary Jane Russel died on February 28th of this year. Born Ernestine Jane Geraldine Russell in Bemidji, Minnesota, she became one of the most iconic silver screen stars, and was most famous for movies such as Howard Hughes's "The Outlaw", and of course "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes". She died of a respiratory illness in her home i believe, in Santa Maria (California).
This news today really shocked me because of two reasons: 1. She died the day after the 83rd Academy Awards...  What a fitting, and ironic, ending for such an actress. It makes me wonder if she was watching it the night before... and 2. The last time I was watching her movies and videos (yes, i do mean i watch these things on youtube :P) I can remember thinking how wonderful it was that such a gorgeous, legendary and amazing actress/person was still alive in my time. Because most of these actresses and people of hollywood's golden age have all died, and the fact that she was alive and admirable... it just made me sad to see such a wonderful person go. Like Michael Jackson all over again :P
RIP Jane Russell, you will be dearly missed.

(this video is one of my absolute favorite's of Jane Russell's from GPB )
Hand-printing ceremony
Marilyn and Jane's hand and footprints at Grauman's Chinese Theatre






Still the same as ever :)
Age 89, Winter 2010




No comments:

Post a Comment